The Secret of Kukicha
Every leaf and every bud is often sung about,
The stems and twigs that seem so dry are not to be thrown out!
Two leaves and a bud, the camilla flower - The stars of the tea bush; So much has been written about their fragrance, flavour and beauty. However, today I wish to celebrate the wind beneath their wings - The TWIGS or STEMS of the tea bush.
This tea is known by many different names - Twig Tea, Kukicha or the Three Year Tea. Although the discovery of tea is credited to the Chinese, it is the Japanese who came up with the concept of Kukicha. In India, it is yet to gain its place in the sun.
Dorje Teas is always on the look out for unique and healthy products. It was during our research, under the guidance of tea maestro and former owner of Makaibari Tea Estate, Rajah Banerjee, that we came across Kukicha. No, it is not Kookies and Tea, Kukicha is a Japanese tea made from the twigs and stems of the same plant that black tea and green tea come from. Twigs are pruned from the shrub, steamed, dried, aged, and then roasted to create an incredibly healthy tea.
Kukicha tea is also known as three years tea because the stems and branches that are used to do it have been in the tea plant for at least three years, so they have lost virtually all of the caffeine (only kukicha tea is between 0.5 and 1% caffeine). Yet, they have absorbed all the multiple properties and vitamins of nature around them.
In the present scenario, it seems like Kukicha is like the elixir of life filled to the brim with many, many health benefits. Beware, you may actually get tired of reading the entire list.
For the scientific minded -
· This tea contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, and C.
· It is also an incredible source of copper, calcium, selenium, manganese, fluoride, and zinc as well as catechins (polyphenols), flavonoids and amino acids.
· The polyphenols in this tea are the same polyphenols that are known to help fight cancer present in green tea.
· Catechins act as powerful antioxidants, minimizing the effect of free radicals. One catechin in particular, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), has 25 to 100 times the antioxidant capability of vitamins C and E, which are the primary water-soluble and fat-soluble antioxidants. Interestingly, research has shown that EGCG may not only prevent some cancers, but it can also suppress some tumour growth.
In simpler words -
· It is an alkalizing drink - Aids in production of bile, which enhances digestive processes in the body.
· Reduces high blood pressure.
· Combats fatigue.
· Reduces the risk of certain types of cancer.
· Fluoride helps to reduce plaque and bacterial infection.
· Helps lower cholesterol levels.
· Can help to burn fat.
· Helps to maintain healthy kidneys and liver.
· Contains natural ingredients that are proven to have detoxification activities and antioxidant properties.
· It has a high calcium content: a cup of tea kukicha contains up to 13 times more calcium than a glass of milk
When a product is so healthy, you automatically assume that it must be bitter, tasteless or just unpalatable. Surprise! Surprise! Kukicha tea has a unique flavor. It tastes sweet, creamy and slightly nutty.
When is Kukicha time?
All the Time!
For Breakfast - Kukicha tea can be taken hot or cold. It brings a lot of energy and vitality in a healthy and natural way.
After Meals - It can be taken as a digestive.
After Dinner - It has virtually no caffeine so it can be taken any without running the risk of losing sleep.
I know it all sounds too good to be true. Don’t take my word for it. Try the Dorje Teas Kukicha and be wowed by it.
Do write to me and tell me of your experience at Editor@DorjeTeas.com